Why is healthy living so hard?
A healthy lifestyle has many benefits, not only for the body but for the mind too. Yet many of us neglect to take all the steps within our control to ensure that we live as healthy as we can.
There are many reasons why it can be hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle in our fast-paced and stressful world.
One reason is that people often don't have enough time to focus on their health due to work, family, and other commitments.
Additionally, unhealthy habits such as unhealthy eating and a lack of physical activity can be hard to break, especially when they have become a normal part of someone's routine.
Environmental factors, such as the availability of unhealthy food options and a lack of access to safe and convenient places to be physically active can make it hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Finally, stress and other mental health issues can make it more difficult for people to take care of themselves and make healthy choices.
Eight key elements of a healthy lifestyle
Are you making healthy lifestyle choices? The following are eight key elements to do daily.
Key 1: Eat a healthy diet.
Eating a healthy diet is an important part of maintaining overall health and wellness. A healthy diet can help to:
- Help you maintain a healthy weight. Eating a balanced diet that is rich in nutrients and low in unhealthy fats, added sugars, and calories can help to maintain a healthy weight. It is also important to pay attention to portion sizes and to drink plenty of water.
- Prevent you from developing chronic diseases. A diet that is high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins and low in processed foods and sugary drinks can help to reduce the risk of developing chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
- Promote your overall health. A healthy diet can give the body the nutrients it needs to function properly and support overall health. This includes energy, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Improve your mental health. Some studies have shown that eating a healthy diet can improve mental health and reduce the risk of developing conditions such as depression and anxiety. An example of a study supporting this finding is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7322666/
Key 2: Get good sleep.
Sleep is an important part of maintaining overall health and wellness. Adequate sleep can help to:
- Maintain your physical health. During sleep, the body repairs and regenerates tissue, grows muscle, and strengthens the immune system. Lack of sleep can lead to physical health problems, such as an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
- Promote your mental health. Sleep is important for maintaining cognitive function and mental health. Lack of sleep can affect mood, memory, and overall cognitive function.
- Improve your quality of life. Getting enough sleep helps improve energy levels, mood, and overall quality of life.
- Help you maintain a healthy weight. Studies have found that people who get enough sleep tend to have a healthier body weight than those who do not get enough sleep. This may be because lack of sleep can affect appetite and metabolism.
Key 3: Get regular exercise.
Exercise and physical activity are important for maintaining overall health and wellness. Some of the ways that exercise and physical activity contribute to a healthy lifestyle include:
- Helping you maintain a healthy weight. Exercise and physical activity help to burn calories and build muscle, which can help to maintain a healthy weight.
- Reducing your risk of chronic diseases. Regular exercise and physical activity reduce the risk of developing chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
- Improving your mental health. Exercise and physical activity have been shown to improve mental health and reduce stress. Read more here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1470658/
- Strengthening your immune system. Regular exercise and physical activity help to strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of illness.
- Improving your sleep. Exercise and physical activity help to improve sleep quality and duration.
- Increasing your energy levels. Regular exercise and physical activity help to increase energy levels and improve overall physical and mental stamina.
Key 4: Think optimistically.
Are you the kind of person who is inclined to be hopeful? Do you try to find the ‘silver lining’ if you have a setback? If so, you’re an optimist.
Optimists see the positive side of things. They expect things to turn out well. They believe they have the skill and ability to make good things happen.
Studies show that optimism can positively impact health in several ways.
First, optimistic people also tend to have a positive outlook on life, which can help them cope with stress and challenges more healthier. This can help to reduce the negative impact of stress on the body, which is important because chronic stress has been linked to several health problems.
Second, optimistic people usually have more positive and fulfilling relationships than pessimistic people, which can contribute to overall well-being.
Third, studies have also found that optimistic people live longer than those who are less optimistic.
Finally, optimistic people may be more likely to seek out and follow medical advice, which can help to prevent or manage health problems.
Key 5: Keep stress under control.
Managing stress is also crucial for overall health and well-being. Chronic stress can take a toll on the body and can lead to a range of physical and mental health problems. It is important to find ways to manage stress, such as relaxation techniques, exercise, and spending time with loved ones. It is also important to prioritize self-care and to make time for activities that bring joy and relaxation.
Some ways that managing stress can contribute to a healthy lifestyle include:
- Improving your mental health. Chronic stress can have a negative impact on mental health, leading to conditions such as depression and anxiety. Managing stress can help to improve mental health and prevent the development of these conditions.
- Improving your physical health. Chronic stress can have a negative impact on physical health, contributing to conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and immune system problems. Managing stress can help to improve physical health and reduce the risk of these conditions.
- Improving your sleep. Stress can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to sleep problems. Managing stress can help to improve sleep quality and duration.
- Improving your relationships. Stress can affect relationships and lead to conflict. Managing stress can help to improve relationships and increase overall social support.
- Improving your quality of life. Reducing stress can improve the overall quality of your life by improving your mood, increasing energy levels, and reducing feelings of overwhelm.
Key 6: Build friendships and strong bonds with others.
Friendships are an important part of a healthy and fulfilling life, and cultivating and maintaining strong friendships can have many positive impacts on our well-being.
- Friendships provide support, which can help reduce stress and improve overall well-being.
- Friendships provide a sense of belonging and connection, which improves mental health and reduces the risk of developing conditions such as depression and anxiety.
- Friendships encourage healthy behaviors, as we often model the behaviors of those we are close to.
- Friendships provide a sense of purpose and meaning, which can be particularly important as we age.
- Friendships provide opportunities for physical activity, such as going for walks or participating in sports together.
Key 7: Feel good about yourself.
Having good self-esteem can contribute to healthy living in several ways:
- Good self-esteem helps you feel good about yourself and your abilities, which can motivate you to take care of yourself and make healthy choices.
- Good self-esteem helps you cope with stress and challenges healthily, rather than turning to unhealthy behaviors like substance abuse or disordered eating.
- Good self-esteem helps you form and maintain healthy relationships, as you are more likely to respect yourself and others when you have good self-esteem.
- Good self-esteem helps you increase your overall well-being and happiness, which can positively impact your physical health. And,
- Good self-esteem helps you make decisions that are in line with your values and goals rather than making choices that might be harmful to your health or well-being.
Key 8: Reduce your sitting and screen time.
Reducing screen time and sitting can contribute to healthy living in several ways:
- Reducing screen time reduces the risk of developing certain health problems, such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
- Reducing screen time improves physical fitness and overall health by encouraging more physical activity.
- Reducing screen time improves mental health by reducing the risk of developing conditions such as depression and anxiety, which are often exacerbated by excessive screen use and sedentary behavior.
- Reducing screen time improves sleep quality, as excessive screen use and sitting can disrupt the body's natural sleep-wake cycle.
- Reducing screen time improves social connections and relationships, as spending less time in front of screens allows for more face-to-face interactions.
The last word.
Healthy living is a lifestyle that includes a variety of habits and practices that are aimed at promoting physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
The Remble app has many courses and activities that help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Download Remble and start your journey toward a healthy lifestyle today!